Adverbial Clause

An adverbial clause is dependent clause introduced by an adverbial subordinator. It is used to modify the verb of the independent clause and tells when (time), where (place), why (reason), for what purpose, how, how long, and how far. It is also used to show contrast and concession.


1) Punctuation Rules
An adverbial clause can come either before or after the independent clause.
Formula:
- Adverbial clause + , + Independent clause (a comma after adverbial clause)
- Independent clause + Adverbial clause (no comma after adverbial clause)
Example:
- As he didn’t understand, he asked the teacher to explain.
- He asked the teacher to explain as he didn’t understand.

2) Types of Adverbial Clauses
There are several different kinds of adverbial clauses; in addition, the subordinators can distinguish the different types of adverbial clauses.

a) Adverb Clause of Time
We use adverb clause of time to modify verb in main clause and to tell the time that an action takes place.
Subordinating Conjunctions: when, whenever, anytime, before, after, till, until, while, since, just as, as soon as, as often as, now that, as long as …
Example:
·       She ran away while I was sleeping.
·       While I was sleeping, she ran away.
·       After the game has finished, the king and pawn go into the same box. (Italian Proverb)
·       I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store, and he asked for my autograph. (Shirley Temple)
·       As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
Exercise :
1.     Do not talk ______ she is singing.
2.     _____ I command this ship, there will be good discipline.
3.     He came _____ night had fallen.
4.     _____ the law was passed, this type of crime ceased.
5.     Do it _____ you forget.

b) Adverb Clause of Place
We use adverb clause of place to modify verb in main clause and to tell the place that an action takes place.
Subordinating Conjunctions: where, as far as, as near as, wherever, anywhere…
Example:
·       She is always drunk wherever I meet her.
·       Wherever I meet her, she is always drunk.
·       In a world where there is so much to be done, I felt strongly impressed that there must be something for me to do. (Dorothea Dix)
·       I am not afraid of the pen, the scaffold, or the sword. I will tell the truth wherever I please. (Mother Jones)
·       Where there is a will there is a way.
Exercise:
1.     They sat down _____ they could find empty seats
2.     My younger sister follows me _____ I go
3.     She went quickly _____ you came
4.     _____ there is a will,there is a way
5.     _____ you can find it

c) Adverb Clause of Cause/Reason
We use adverb clause of cause/reason to modify verb in main clause and to tell the cause that an action takes place.
Subordinating Conjunctions: because, as, for, that
Example:
·       I come here because I want to meet you.
·       Because I want to meet you, I come here.
·   I don't have a bank account, because I don't know my mother's maiden name. (Paula Poundstone)
·   Since you are like no other being ever created since the beginning of time, you are incomparable. (Brenda Ueland)
·       Because it was exceptionally cold, I wore my winter jacket.
Exercise :
1.     I ran ­­­­­_____ I was late
2.     _____ I believe her story,I shall have her
3.     _____ susan was here, I will ask her to take the message
4.     Now _____ she was not here,I spoke to her mother
5.     Lissa doesn’t go to school ______________________


d) Adverb Clause of Condition
We use adverb clause of condition to modify verb in main clause and to tell the condition that an action takes place or someone does something.
Subordinating Conjunctions: if, whether, if … not, unless, supposing that, provided that, in the condition that, as long as that
Example:
·       I will commit suicide unless you love me.
·       Unless you love me, I will commit suicide.
·       If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. (Albert Einstein)
·       If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur. (Doug Larson)
·       If all the rich people in the world divided up their money among themselves, there wouldn't be enough to go around. (Christina Stead, 1903-1983)
Exercise:
1.     ________________________ , I will phone you
2.     __________________, the cat would catch you
3.     You’ll succeed, ________________
4.     __________________, I would fly.
5.     You won’t be rich _______________________

e) Adverb Clause of Contrast
We use adverb clause of concession/contrast to modify verb in main clause and it is introduced by the below-written subordinating conjunctions:
Subordinating Conjunctions: *Concessive* though, however, even though, even if, although, so, in spite of the fact that, the fact that, despite that, whether or, granted that, whoever, whatever, whichever, no matter what,*Adversative*  where, whereas, while
Example:
·       I have never committed crime although I am poor.
·       Although I am poor, I have never committed crime.
·       Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing. (Dave Barry)
·       A loud voice cannot compete with a clear voice, even if it's a whisper. (Barry Neil Kaufman)
·       Despite the poor service provided by the wait staff, we still enjoyed the food and the atmosphere of the restaurant.
Exercise :
1.     He is still poor __________________________________
2.     _________________________________, I will try to help him.
3.     They won the game, ____________________________________
4.     She went _________________________
5.     Although we are rich,­­­­­_______________________

f) Adverb Clause of Purpose
We use adverb clause of purpose to modify verb in main clause and to tell the aim that someone does something or something happens.
Subordinating Conjunctions: so that, in order that,
Remember:
Sometimes we can use “so as to, in order to” to stand instead of “so that, in order that”.
Example:
·       I tell him everyday in order that he can remember.
·       In order that he can remember, I tell him everyday.
Sentence + so that / in order that + subject + verb + complement.
Sentence + so as to / in order to + verb + complement.
Example:
·       I bring my dictionary with me in order that I can check.
·       I bring my dictionary with me in order to check.
·       Rian drove fast so that he could arrived on time.
Exercise :
1.     They went to the movie early _______________________
2.     I got up early _____________________
3.     she bought a book __________________________
4.     We plant ____________________________
5.     Susan takes a computer lesson ____________________________.
g) Adverb Clause of Result/Consequence
We use adverb clause of result/consequence to modify verb in main clause and to tell the result that someone does something or something happens.
Subordinating Conjunctions: “that” is used to recognize adverb clause of result
Subject + verb + so + adjective/adverb + that + subject + verb + comp
Example:
·       She is so hungry that she has lunch early.
·       That she has lunch early, she is so hungry.
·       She is so short that she can’t become a stewardess.
Subject + verb + such + noun(s) + that + subject + verb + complement
Example:
·       She acts such a rude manner that no man loves her.
·       That no man loves her, she acts such a rude manner.
Exercise :
1.     She is so short _______________________________
2.     She studies so hard ________________________________
3.     He worked hard so ________________________
4.     I was tired of waiting _______________________________
5.     She was so weak _______________________________

h) Adverb Clause of Comparison
We use adverb clause of comparison to modify verb in main clause.
Subordinating Conjunctions: small, fast, hard, slow, late…
Subject + verb + as + adjective/adverb + as + subject + verb + comp
Example:
·       Your book is as small as my book is.
·       You speak as fast as she does.
·       Johan can speak English as fluently as his teacher.
Sub + verb + adj/adv-er /more-adj/adv + than + sub + verb + comp
Example:
·       She runs faster than I do.
·       They speak more fluently than he does.
Exercise :
1.     He is ___(old)___ he looks.
2.     No one can run ___(fast)___ Raman.
3.     You must work ____(hard)_____ I do.
4.     He is ___(Stupid)__ he is lazy.
5.     She is ___(pretty)___ a doll.

i) Adverb Clause of Manner
We use adverb clause of manner to modify verb in main clause and to tell how an action takes place.
Subordinating Conjunctions: as if, as though, as
Example:
·       The boy speaks as if he is sick.
·       As if he is sick, the boy speaks.
·       He acts like it is a joke.
·       We don't have conversations. You talk at me the way a teacher talks to a naughty student.
·       Except for an occasional heart attack, I feel as young as I ever did. (Robert Benchley)
Exercise :
1.     Reading ______________ helps you to understand concepts better.
2.     Playing music too _______________ can damage your hearing.
3.     He agreed to go to the store for milk quickly.
4.     He gave us the money ___________
5.     The child ran _______ towards his mother.



           











Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Malam indah bulan purnama

Kultum Anak-anak